Don’t be too worried about the reputation of Mexico
Many people are put off going to Mexico due to the bad rap it gets in the news. It’s very bad in the States, but also Mexico has a hard time in the British press too. That said, Mexico still remains a very popular destination for British holidaymakers and offers great value for money.
Listed below are a number of UK travel insurance companies that will cover your in Mexico – please always read the small print before taking out any policy.
Globelink Travel Insurance
You can even take out travel insurance while you are already travelling.
Take as many holidays as you wish and be covered all year long! 17 days Winter Sports Cover FREE if you take out the 45 days policy.
UK or EU residents allowed and also for one way trips of up to 12 months duration
Example Quote* - £35.00
> Get a quote from GLOBELINK - Link not working? try this
Travel Supermarket Long Term Insurance
- Travelsupermarket covers many of the options for long stay insurance and will offer coverage for all ages.
- Their quote engine probably gives more results than any other comparison site
- They have a backpacker option too, which provides budget travel cover for people of all ages.
Example Quote* - £40.00
> Get a quote from TRAVEL SUPERMARKET - Link not working? try this
Post Office Travel Insurance
Post Office cover for long stay trips up to 18 months!
They were winners of the Best Travel Insurance Provider at the British Travel Awards for ten years in a row.
Example Quote* - £23.00
> Get a quote from POST OFFICE - Link not working? try this
ALL CLEAR Travel Insurance
- Covers all sorts of Medical Conditions - Get peace of mind with cover for any medical condition including diabetes, cancer and heart disease
- No age restrictions because they believe everyone deserves the right to travel no matter their age
- Annual Travel Insurance from £32.39 - Travel whenever you want in the next 12 months
- 99% of customers are offered cover
Quotes from* - £9.70
> Get a quote from ALLCLEAR Insurance - Link not working? try this
Single Trip Travel Insurance covers you for one holiday or trip – whether your trip is worldwide or in Europe. Cancellation cover starts as soon as you take out the policy and ends when you’re back home again.
Ideal if you are planning on a family holiday in Spain, a ski break with our Winter Sports add-on, or a sporty holiday, with 85 sports and activities covered as standard. Is your holiday longer than 104 days? Personalise cover to suit your needs with our long stay policy.
Example Quote* - £29.00
> Get a quote from AVANTI INSURANCE - Link not working? try this
- You can also purchase our policies while already travelling or on holiday already
- Provide full benefits, up to the policy limits, for all destinations including countries under the FCDO and government essential and non-essential travel advisories.
- Medical Expenses & Emergency Evacuation: £ 10,000,000.00
- They cater to all travellers: people on holiday, business and adventure travellers, freelancers, and more.
Example Quote* - £29.00
> Get a quote from BATTLEFACE INSURANCE - Link not working? try this
Outbacker Long Stay Insurance
Working Holidays and a Return Trip to the UK
Only covers up to age of 40
Cover up to 230 Sports and Activities
Example Quote* - £55.99
> Get a quote from OUTBACKER Insurance - Link not working? try this
World Nomads Travel Insurance
If you're traveling and want to travel longer, World Nomads lets you buy more cover to keep you on the road. Travel insurance for independent travelers and intrepid families. You'd rather not think about all of the things that might go wrong on your trip, but these things can and do happen.
Example Quote* - £39.99
> Get a quote from WORLD NOMADS INSURANCE - Link not working? try this
Cedar Tree Insurance
Up to 75 years of age
They offer award-winning travel insurance that provides you with complete travel reassurance whilst abroad.
Every policy we provide boasts the highest level of cover providing you with the confidence to enjoy your trip wherever your destination.
Example Quote* - £45.00
> Get a quote from CEDARTREE Insurance - Link not working? try this
Explorer Travel Insurance
- Up to £250 total valuables limit to replace your stolen or damaged items and cover your watches and sunglasses
- £5 million medical expenses cover, £5,000 holiday cancellation cover
Example Quote* - £37.49 (ES Single Trip Plus)
> Get a quote from EXPLORER INSURANCE - Link not working? try this
Things to be aware of in Mexico as a traveller or holiday maker
Scams in Mexico
Fake taxis, fake cops, airport scams, watered down drinks, car rental damage scams and the good old foreign exchange switch.
Drugs and Drug Cartel Country
Unfortunately, Mexico does have a reputation for drug related crime including in popular tourist spots such as Cabo San Lucas, Cancun, Tijuana, Acapulco and others.
From sunset to sunrise, whether you are at a bar, in a club or enjoying a night time festival; it’s important to look after yourself, your fellow travelers and your belongings. Drink spiking can occur which places you at risk of assault and theft.
Pickpockets, car-jackings and robberies have occurred in Mexico and the risk of these crimes while traveling increases at night, particuarly in known drug cartel country and border areas.
While not exclusive to Mexico, express kidnapping is a growing issue in Latin America.
While most locals are friendly, there are some who still uphold the machismo attitude towards women. Solo women travelers may experience harassment as a result.